Re: Performance problem: anything else I can do to make this faster?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 19:55:18 +0100

Steve C wrote:
> I'm finally getting the CBO to use indexes (on the count query, at
> least) using:
>
> alter session set optimizer_index_cost_adj = 50;
> alter session set optimizer_index_caching = 90;
>
> My query times aren't changed much though, for the count query it's 2
> seconds, for the record page query it's 5.
>
> One thing: I haven't put primary or foreign keys on my tables. As a
> rule we don't rely on the database to do constraint checking. Would
> this figure into the optimizer's decisions around join strategies, etc?

Beg your pardon?
You mean to say you don't use a database - you just have a big bucket with data...

I haven't followed the thread in detail to make comments about CBO decisions, but not having constraints... Oracle V6 time; no foreign key constraints (well, not functional)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel