Re: data/index on different disks

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:02:21 +0100

sigdock wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm building a database for Oracle Text, using Oracle 10.1 on a Win2k3
> platform. Estimated initial size 3GB data and an expected growth of
> 500MB a year. Since I'm using a text index I wonder if it's wise to put
> the index and data tablespaces on different disks. I know that was
> common practice in the Oracle7 and Oracle8(i) days but I remember
> reading somewhere that in Oracle9 and up it's better to put index and
> data on the same disk. Better for read-performance anyway. Anybody here
> with the answer???
>
> tia,
> Bert Jan Meinders

Splitting Index and Data was a myth.
Indexes and data do not get read or written simultaneously, it's a serialized action: first read the index, then the data.

As text indexes are *not* updated (you need another process) when the data is updated, this question is even more obvious to answer:
Don't bother, unless for maintenance reasons.

There has been an extensive thread recently on this subject - google!

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel