Re: DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:27:43 -0500

Noons wrote:

>>for different operating systems
>>...<<
>>
>>Is that a fact?

> It is. No matter how many times IBM denies it.
> They can't even figure out how to spawn a subprocess
> in Windows using the standard Posix calls. That's why
> their interactive command tool needs that deranged
> environment variable thing to get it to talk to the
> "front-end process of the backend", or whatever
> the deranged thing is called nowadays.
> Fact is: the code IS different and BEHAVES different.
> Nuff said.

Noons,

Not sure about how SQL plus works. But DB2's CLP allows you to exit the program without terminating your connection. So DBA's use shell scripting extensively submitting single CLP commands using its' parameter mode.
This is the sole reason why DB2 needs the extra hop on Windows: Maintaining a cookie to associate the connection with that shell window. Am I correct that you are either in a SQL Plus session or you are not? In that case SQL plus wouldn't have the problem (but not the same capability either)
If typing db2cmd to get a DOS shell is so evil then too bad. I've heard people have made buying decisions on less ;-)

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau