Re: DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:35:13 -0000

"NormaJean Sebastian via DBMonster.com" <forum_at_DBMonster.com> wrote in message news:39f5d1d003b240fd963478370570c834_at_DBMonster.com...
> Hi,
> I almost read all of the "DB2 vs Oracle" thread...
> The summary I got from that was all databases essentially do the same
> things, the decision of which one you use primarily depends on available
> skillsets, software vendor support, and customer/tech support.

I'm not entirely sure that is where the discussion ended, but it isn't a bad place to be when evaluating products.

> I will be facing a decision on migrating our SAP Informix database to
> either Oracle, DB2UDB, or Sqlserver. I don't think we are going to
> SqlServer. I have some Oracle experience, I have no DB2 or DB2UDB
> experience, I have lots of Informix experience.

looks like the skillset argument goes to Oracle somewhat then.

> What I would like to have discussed in this thread is the support and
> quality of support available for DB2UDB (we would run on Sun) and Oracle.

Oracle support varies, my experience is that the iTar process works pretty well (most of my support comes from the UK organisation) and that metalink is probably the best corporate knowledge base I have seen in 20 years or so in IT, but somewhat hamstrung by the interface from hell. If you get a support person that clearly doesn't get it (happened to me twice in 7 years) then escalate the call.

I can't comment on IBM from personal experience so I won't.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA