Re: alter system archive log stop;

From: Tof <None_at_ForNotSpam>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:07:28 +0100

Holger Baer wrote:
> Tof wrote:
> [Snip]
>

>>> So, you're not on 10G, then?
>>

>> I am on 10g. There a difference between 9i and 10g ?

> No they just changed the version out of greed ;-)
>
> Check out the 10g Administrators Guide, Chapter 7.
>
> Also:
>
> sys_at_DEMO10G>select name, isdeprecated from v$parameter where name like
> 'log_arc%';
>
> NAME
> ISDEP
> -----
> log_archive_config
> FALSE
> log_archive_start
> TRUE <--
> log_archive_dest
> FALSE
> <rest snipped out>
>
> Finally, check out the SQL Reference on the archive log clause of alter
> system.
>
> Cheers
> Holger

Ok, i see, but it don't explain about "alter system archive log (STOP or START)"
And i try this and i don't understant :

SQL> alter system archive log start;

System altered.

SQL> select name, isdeprecated from v$parameter where name='log_archive_start';

NAME                           ISDEP
------------------------------ -----
log_archive_start              TRUE

SQL> alter system archive log stop;

System altered.

SQL> select name, isdeprecated from v$parameter where name='log_archive_start';

NAME                           ISDEP
------------------------------ -----
log_archive_start              TRUE

SQL> archive log list;
Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST
Oldest online log sequence     19
Next log sequence to archive   21
Current log sequence           21

SQL> The parameter set always TRUE.

But if i want to stop it, i must shutdown database and modify the parameter log_archive_start at false to init.ora

But i don't understand for the "alter system archive log stop" if it run, i must see a indication in database parameter the change of this action.

I see at SQL Reference :
archive_log_clause

The archive_log_clause manually archives redo log files or enables or disables automatic archiving. To use this clause, your instance must have the database mounted. The database can be either open or closed unless otherwise noted.

Also the "alter system archive log stop" there no action on database open !!!.

I don't understand.

Thanks,
Christophe Received on Wed Mar 02 2005 - 05:07:28 CST