Re: Raid Stripe Size.....

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:56:54 +1100

oracle _ man_at_yahoo.com apparently said,on my timestamp of 1/03/2005 7:46 AM:

It all looks reasonably good, except for this:

> to channel on each controller. Then stripe using 128 chunks per drive
> across 7 drives, leaving the 8th for hot spare. This 7x128K =
> ~917,504byte stripe size. Oracle recomends 1MB stripe, so we are
> close. This is all hardware level.

The stripe size in your case is 128K. The stripe size is the portion of space used on each drive for each "stripe". Not the sum of all stripes across all drives.

> Now then, we have to build an
> RHEL4 OS on these two arrays.

This is where I get confused: you said at the very start this setup was for *data only*. Now you plonk the OS in there?

> My questions remaining are:
> 1) Should I make one big logical volume across controllers?

You should make logical volumes a size that is convenient for the unit of backup you intend to use. Pick what one tape (or backup disk unit) can store, that is your optimal volume size: you can now backup easily both file systems and raw devices.

> 2) What OS block size do I use, and how do I change it.

I'm sorry but there is no such thing as "OS block size". There is such a thing as "default file system block size", "default block size used by the OS for I/O" and also "default block size used for paging and swap activity". But there is no such thing as the first one. A common *nix myth. The most common defaults in *nix are 4K and 8K.

> 3) And lastly, if using 8K oracle block_Size, what
> db_file_multiblock_read should I use for the above hardware config?

128K/8K = 16

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto