Re: Which Linux for Oracle 9i on AMD Opteron?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:42:19 +0100

Haximus wrote:

> Fabrizio wrote:
>

>>Frank van Bortel wrote:

>>>But what would be the difference? The extras, the utilities,
>>>the cream on top. Do you care? I don't.
>>>The kernel would be (about) the same, apart from RH ES4 having
>>>less patches that SuSE, but that is because SuSE was very fast
>>>bringing out the latest kernel, whereas Red Hat waited for a
>>>more mature version.
>>>
>>>Of course, a bit of a Linux adept would go and compile his/her
>>>own kernel, wouldn't he?
>>
>>You would lose support from both: Oracle and the Linux vendor. :(
>

> I was told that Oracle has a utility to check the MD5 checksums of rpm
> packages installed, if they don't match the release checksums they have
> grounds to refuse support.  This is to deter people from installing Oracle
> on "Lineox" (RH AS ripoff) and variants then attempting to qualify for
> support.

Sounds like an urban legend in the making. If that would be true, they would need a database with all checksums of every version ever released in the update program.

Never heard of Lineox, but WhiteBox surely is no rip off; RH started as GPL, they're obliged to publish the source, and WB just compiled that (which is hard enough - try rebuilding the kernel, as delivered. Not!)

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel