Re: ASM.....Who's using it?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:44:15 -0800

oracle_man wrote:

> Please share your experiences using ASM. Do feel free to post the
> good, the bad and the ugly.

Have yet to see any bad or ugly. But good?

  1. No Veritas or other volume managers
  2. Simple volume management all without a single UNIX SA
  3. Simple load-balancing
  4. Low overhead cost (CPU) compared to alternatives
  5. Disk group management as opposed to datafile management

But realistically it is new and most of the issues I hear about are related to the same basic bug we all run into with our first data warehouse. Build that first one, learn from the mistake, burn it to the ground, and do it right the next time.

Failure to have or work with a test environment carries a very high cost.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington