Re: (Newbie) - how do I display output?

From: Paul <gan_spam_ar_bith_at_ireland.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:40:46 -0000

Mark.Powell_at_eds.com says...

> While Steph provided a short-term fix I would like to point out a
> couple of points related to dbms_output. First, it was introduced as a
> debugging tool and was not intended as a reporting tool. I do not
> think the first release even supported changing the buffer size. The
> default buffer was 2k and can be easily exhausted. Oracle has extended
> the serverout syntax to allow increasing the buffer size:

Thanks for the explanation - it's always good to get clarification.

Don't forget though that this is the "Hello World" example from "Beginning Oracle Programming", and not meant to be real world code!

BTW, what happens when you have SPOOL set to ON and no file to go with it? Is it just ignored?

Paul...

--

plinehan  y_a_h_o_o  and d_o_t  com
W2K Pro - Oracle 9.2.0.1.0