Re: Moving Instance from One Server to Another (ERROR: ORA-01031)

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2005 10:03:32 -0800

HARI OM wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> This is what I did.
> $ ./sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
> Connected to an idle instance.
> SQL> @/scripts/create.sql
> CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "TIGER" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>
> As mentioned earlier, I am TRYING to MOVE the INSTANCE from ONE
MACHINE
> to ANOTHER. All I have done is to MOVE all the DBF and LOG Files to
> this new Server (doing cold backup) but then how would ORACLE
Recognize
> this is NEW INSTANCE... and how can I proceed? I am trying to execute
> the "Create Control File..." Trace which I generated from my frist
> server.
>
> So then I start up my Instance (which is still not being configured)
> SQL> startup
> ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
> LRM-00109: could not open parameter file
'/OraHome1/dbs/inituttest.ora'

Sid reference in create controlfile says "TIGER" and when you are trying to startup an instance separately it looks for inituttest.ora file... which means your ORACLE_SID is set to uttest??

If you are just trying to clone a database and the oracle home is exactly the same in both servers then why not just create the exact same directory structure on target as in source and then copy all files from source i.e. data files, controlfiles, redo logs, init.ora file and just start the database. It will save you a lot of extra work.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Tue Mar 01 2005 - 12:03:32 CST