Re: Event 'db file seq. read' stuck for hours on the same file#/block# ?

From: Spendius <spendius_at_muchomail.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2005 04:34:53 -0800

"Haximus" <e_at_t.me> wrote...

> Just a thought... latch contention? 'db file seq. read' is for control file
> and datafile header access, a latch must be required to access these areas,
> the process might be requesting one in willing-to-wait mode, not getting it
> and retrying... retrying... etc

What is funny is that I either get this 'db file seq. read' event or 'latch free' on the same number (106 = library cache) with the number of tries staying at 0 (ZERO), for hours too, until I kill the session. But 9 times/10 we get the db file sequential read wait.

I've dbverified the file returned by this event, everything's fine, I've checked V$SESS_IO, from the moment the session stalls the values in this view no more change, I've launched the first SQL on V$LOCK someone gave me in the 1rst reply: I get no row (I've run anyway ALL my scripts related to locking, including catblock.sql to create all these relevant views, but it never returns me anything helpful). It *really* looks as if the session suddenly gets suspended, everything looks frozen.

A 'tail -f' of 10046 trace file always stops at the same line: a SELECT FOR UPDATE statement. I'm beginning to suspect the data in the tables involved must cause this procedure to conk out (because the same module exists on 22 different databases -they are replicated to the same master- but it only fails on this one)... Received on Tue Mar 01 2005 - 06:34:53 CST