Re: Moving Instance from One Server to Another (ERROR: ORA-01031)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2005 16:45:07 -0800

HARI OM wrote:
> THANKS Rauf.
>
> I did EXPORT and then executed '$sqlplus " / as sysdba' which shows
> CONNECTED to an IDLE INSTANCE
> and then when I run my CONTROL file it shows NOT CONNECTED TO
ORACLE...

> HARI OM
$ oerr ora 1031
01031, 00000, "insufficient privileges"
// *Cause: An attempt was made to change the current username or password

//         without the appropriate privilege. This error also occurs if
//         attempting to install a database without the necessary
operating
//         system privileges.
//         When Trusted Oracle is configure in DBMS MAC, this error may
occur
//         if the user was granted the necessary privilege at a higher
label
//         than the current login.

// *Action: Ask the database administrator to perform the operation or grant
//          the required privileges.
//          For Trusted Oracle users getting this error although
granted the
//          the appropriate privilege at a higher label, ask the
database
//          administrator to regrant the privilege at the appropriate
label.

I would guess you did not log into the new host with with appropriate operating system privileges. Do your two hosts have the same userid and groupid for the login you are using? Does your new $ORACLE_HOME/oracle have the correct protection? Can oracle write to the directories where it is trying to create all the files, including the controlfiles?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I always wondered what a negative CSI signified." - me