Re: BLOB Question

From: Haximus <e_at_t.me>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 00:12:54 GMT

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've actually never really worked with BLOB's or CLOB's. So, I have a
> question that maybe someone could answer:
>
> We need to store a bunch of scanned images. We can store them in the
> database as BLOBS, or we can store them on disk as an external file.
>
> Is there any advantage in how fast Oracle can access the object if it
> is stored as a BLOB rather than an external file? What about space?
> Do I save any space storing it in the database verses out of the
> database?

File systems will serve large files faster than a database, generally speaking... and no you won't save any space storing in a DB.

> Storing them in the database will no doubt make the database larger and
> slow down the exports, I assume.......
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Do the images need to be accessed frequently? If not, there's no reason to bloat your database by parking scads of rarely used images in it. In that case its better to just use the db to store attribute information and reference the files externally.

A good reason to use db storage would be if you need simplified access from clients that do not have file system access. Received on Mon Feb 28 2005 - 18:12:54 CST