Re: Raid Stripe Size.....

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:35:11 -0800

oracle _ man_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm gonna lay out a new 10G db on RHEL4/AMD64. I have(for data files
> only) two ICP Vortex Raid controllers. Each controller is dual
> channel. Each channel has 8 Drives. We will hardware mirror channel
> to channel on each controller. Then stripe using 128 chunks per drive
> across 7 drives, leaving the 8th for hot spare. This 7x128K =
> ~917,504byte stripe size. Oracle recomends 1MB stripe, so we are
> close. This is all hardware level. Now then, we have to build an
> RHEL4 OS on these two arrays.
>
> My questions remaining are:
> 1) Should I make one big logical volume across controllers?
>
> 2) What OS block size do I use, and how do I change it.
>
> 3) And lastly, if using 8K oracle block_Size, what
> db_file_multiblock_read should I use for the above hardware config?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rich

The block size is the easy question ... 4K because that is the block size of the O/S.

I am not familiar with the ICP Vortex RAID controllers but I am concerned as to whether you have verified that they actually support RAC. Why not just use ASM and lay it all down on top of raw.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington