Oracle 9i on Linux using MS Active Directory?

From: Don Seiler <don.seiler_at_nsighttel.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:36:44 GMT

I am running Oracle 9.2.0.4 on RHAS3. The company is catching the "single sign-on" craze and I'm looking into eventually having Oracle do it's user authentication against our Microsoft Active Directory server. I've read these two documents:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/network.920/a96573/asoappe.htm http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/windows/wp/Oracle_with_Active_Directory_TWP.pdf

The white paper pdf says "a Windows client can authenticate with a database server on a Windows or non-Windows platform." The former link seems pretty Windows-centric and had me doubting if it would work with a linux server. I was encouraged to read that 9i can support MSAD authentication natively without the need for OID. Hopefully this is indeed true in my case as well.

One question I still have is that of linux clients. Will they be able to connect to the linux server if it is using MSAD for authentication? This goes for the few linux desktops we have (mine) and the number of perl and java/jsp applications. The vast majority of clients are on Win2000/XP machines utilizing our PowerBuilder app.

Any answers, tips, HOWTOs ;) would be much appreciated. Received on Mon Feb 28 2005 - 14:36:44 CST