Re: Would be really nice if...

From: Haximus <e_at_t.me>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:47:54 GMT

> One more keyword to SQL syntax? As if it's not a mess already?
>
> I would suggest more general solution. Allow nesting arbitrary SQL on
> column level. Your example would become something like
>
> SELECT COLUMNS(
> select name from user_columns
> where table_name = 'EMP'
> minus
> select name from user_columns
> where table_name = 'DEPT'
> ) from EMP
>
> This syntax establishes nice framework for pivot/unpivot operator...

I like the idea of the nested SQL, but how would you specify aliases at the column level? Expressions?

I awlays thought Oracle was the one you go with when you want the kitchen sink too.

Considering the SQL Reference is 1800+ pages, what's another paragraph! ;) Received on Sat Feb 26 2005 - 00:47:54 CST