Re: Would be really nice if...

From: <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2005 17:39:22 -0800

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:
> select * except col2 from t;
>
> This returns, as expected, col1 and col3, columns which the
application
> is coded to accept. Fine and dandy, and all is right with the world.
> One day in the future a change is made to table t, but the
application
> is left unmodified:
>
> ALTER TABLE t
> ADD (col4 NUMBER);
>
> Again your magic code is executed:
>
> select * except col2 from t;
>
> NOW the returned values are col1, col3 and col4. Of course, the
> application is not expecting col4, however it has it and has no idea
> WHAT to do with it, therefore the application breaks with the
following
> errors:
>
> ERROR at line 8:
> ORA-06550: line 8, column 1:
> PLS-00394: wrong number of values in the INTO list of a FETCH
statement

> This is one reason I question your 'request'. And this is the point
> you couldn't grasp since you couldn't follow the discussion from
> Daniel. Makes me wonder how 'forwarad' a thinker you really are,
since
> you couldn't think far enough forward to predict this problem.

If you were forward thinker as you pretend to be, then you could immediately notice that there is no reason why PL/SQL can't be fixed to handle subset of values from the select list. A hint: if application is not expecting something, then it could ignore it. For one thing, this feature wouldn't break my JDBC code. Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 19:39:22 CST