Re: Would be really nice if...

From: Haximus <e_at_t.me>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:40:43 GMT

GreyBeard wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 06:57:57 +0000, Haximus wrote:
>

>> Can't argue with that, except that if you want your products exposed to
>> the
>> largest market possible then you cater to what your customers want.  If
>> they have vendor X's product and don't want to make the capital outlay to
>> adopt

> Perhaps my lack of greed is my downfall. Capital outlay by the customer is
> not as important as both personal satisfaction and returning customers. I
> despise having to work through code a second or third time because I did
> it wrong or because it performs poorly due to compromises.

I believe a business relationship starts the moment a sale is finalized... not stops. As for greed, that's fine if you can afford to pick and choose, but if you have investors to please and you are not a one man show, profits are not secondary considerations.

> I simply explain to my customers that a 'one size fits all' approach in
> databases feels as comfortable as 'one size fits all' in shoes - may be
> acceptable if you're only walking across the street, but try walking in
> them for days on end and the doctor's bills start having an impact.

True, there is no such thing as one size fits all, that's why we must be prepared to be adaptable rather than expect customers to adapt to us, and there is no such thing as compromise when results are what generate your revenue stream.

>> vendor Y... they will not choose your product.  If you are in the
>> business of serving your customers then you tell them what you can and
>> will do and
>> cater, not the other way around.  BTW Thom Kyte makes a living giving
>> technical advice not business advice.

> I find that Tom's books make a lot of business sense when you eliminate
> the artificial distinction between CapEx and OpEx (initial outlay and long
> term costs).

Yes, but you have to sell that to the bean counters and not just management.

> Being in the business of serving my customers in the long run & looking
> for repeat rather than one shot business, I do discuss the short term vs.
> long term benefits. If they want a short term gain, they go elsewhere, if
> they want long term gain, I frequently get the contract.

That goes without saying. The type of products we do require ongoing support services, if we targeted one-shots we'd get hungry pretty quick. We make far more revenue from support than the initial sale, over the long run.

> Gives me a comfortable income and I can sleep at night because it fits
> into my philosophy. To each his own - ymmv.
>
> We are now into philosophy and heavily OT. I quit now - rebutt away <g>

Yes, I will concede that point! But it's fun to incite a little passion into a dry tech group once in a while (strictly for educational/entertainment purposes of course). Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 14:40:43 CST