Re: Oracle Patch

From: GS <whatever_at_spam.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:25:06 GMT

hpuxrac wrote:
> snip
>

>>I think it's not necessary because if you create a database in an
>>installation(with an database) patched like in the documenation

> written,
>
>>you don't have to apply the patches on an additional created

> database.
>
>>Because I'm not sure about my considerations, I hope you can help me.

>>From a software only install, when the patchset is applied, the scripts

> that will be run when you create a database, get upgraded.
>
> So when you create a database after a patchset has been applied it is
> now at the correct version matching against the patchset applied
> (except when oracle goofs in the patch maintenance process ... it
> happens sometimes).

IIRC it all depends on *how* you create the database after said patchset has been applied. If you are creating from scratch or using the "new database" option in DBCA then you don't need to do a startup migrate on this database as you are running the catalog, catproc etc.. scripts as part of this database creation. However, if you choose one of the DBCA options that include datafiles then yes, you do need to "startup migrate" these DB's and re run the neccesary dictionary scripts to get them up to date, as the databases created from the options that include datafiles are essentially cloned databases from the base 9.2.0.1 install, and the patchset does not update the datafiles that create these databases.

hth Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 11:25:06 CST