Re: new user or new database

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:05:55 GMT

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:49:57 +0100, Ale wrote:

> I have a DB with some users, each user has some tables.
> Which differece is there in the following two approaches ?
>
> 1) To create a new user inside the existing DB and make him to import a dump
> DB. He should see the dump DB as tables which only that user can own
> 2) To import the dump DB as new DB, so I would have two DB
>
> thank you for your answers
> Ale

A database may support the tables from many user - users which own physical resources such as tables are also called schemas. (Not 100% accurate, but for the sake of discussion ...).

AN instance requires CPU and memory resources, and also requires management & admin resources (DBA), just to exist. Such resources may be expensive in your environment.

Also consider that a database is closely linked to a set of disk files, and is accessed thru an instance. An instance may be turned on or off, and this becomes a 'unit of maintenance'. A database also has a certain basic resource requirement for the system tablespace, the temp and undo tablespaces, the control & log files, and so on, that exists before even starting on the user's data.

To answer your question, you basically need to look at your environment: do you have enough CPU, memory and DBA time to be able to support multiple concurrent database instances? And enough disk space to cover the base disk requirements for each database?

FGB Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 11:05:55 CST