Re: Would be really nice if...

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2005 08:01:25 -0800

Haximus wrote:
> > There is no waste as the demo clearly shows. You, of course, didn't
> > bother to run the demo.
>
> Nope, and to tell you the truth I have no use for PL/SQL except in
the role
> of basic data processing. In my work I deal with a lot of non-linear

> problem solving involving complex OO models that would be next to
impossible
> to achieve with PL/SQL, but data management needs still require the
> performance of Oracle for passivation as well as basic
pre-processing.

Passivation? What is that then? PL/SQL for pre-processing? What do you mean by pre-processing?

> PL/SQL is something I practically never use in daily life, it's a
dinosaur
> that will eventually become extinct when all the RDBMS-centric DBA's
someday
> see the light.

Like file systems presumably? Who needs file stores when you can just request the object you need from a service on the internet somewhere?

If you do OO stuff then you'll realize that what you've suggested is a good thing is allowing the public interface to your object to change on the fly (returning different information about different things) and all consumers of that object should of course carry on regardless.

Niall Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 10:01:25 CST