Re: Splitting MS Access Database

From: Haximus <e_at_t.me>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:18:39 GMT

premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> have an access 2000 database which has several levels of security
> defined, i.e., certain users can only see certain forms, run certain
> reports.
>

> I am splitting this database in front end and back end. I want to
> move back end to Oracle. I don't know where security is stored
> in Access.
>

> Will access users see only he forms/reports they have been authorized
> after the move to Oracle. I can limit database access
> to Oracle by creating different Oracle users, but my question
> is what happens to front end security after the split.

You have to remember there are different authentication schemes possible with Oracle, like ldap, jazn, sso, etc. If you are using Access with odbc as an Oracle client, your option for security will be whatever is provided thru the odbc driver. Most likely you will have to hatch some schmeme on the client side to secure forms/reports yourself, not elegant but workable.

Also, check out Oracle's migration workbench:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/workbench/index.html Received on Thu Feb 24 2005 - 17:18:39 CST