Re: Would be really nice if...

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 06:30:12 -0600

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 03:05:17 GMT, "Haximus" <e_at_t.me> wrote:

>> Oracle's heirarchical queries predated most of the standards. It would be
>> silly for them to retract something after it's become popular.
>
>If you rely on such features and develop products with multi-vendor support
>in mind it's not a trivial thing, though I definitely prefer Oracle's syntax
>to the standard way. I also prefer not to have to type select lists of 97
>columns for a table that has 98... you can call me lazy, for that matter
>perhaps we should go back to keeping records on clay tablets, because all
>this modern technology stuff is really just rewarding the 'lazy' ;)

Who types up 97 column names in a select statement? Spool a DESC MYTABLE, then open up the spooled file with your favorite editor and do a few quick edit commnds to format the list into a SELECT statement. Snip, paste, done -- with no chance of a typo to boot. Thanks.

Cohn's Law: The more time you spend in reporting on what you are doing, the less time you have to do anything. Stability is achieved when you spend all your time doing nothing but reporting on the nothing you are doing. Received on Thu Feb 24 2005 - 06:30:12 CST