Re: Searching for the Holy Grail... Glogin.sql

From: bob-metelsky <bobmetelsky_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:19:06 -0500

Gump wrote:

> See Oracle Metalink Note 98716.1
>
> Summary
> -------
> You need to do two things in your SQL*Plus session. Change the
> linesize and screen buffer width settings. This can be done within
> SQL*Plus by choosing Options --> Environment from the top menu bar.
> The Screen Buffer settings are shown on the right-hand side of the
> pop-up window.
>
> Please note that the linesize setting is only retained for the current
> SQL*Plus session. Once you exit, the linesize will revert back to the
> default value. The Screen Buffer Width, however, is not
> session-specific and will be retained.
>
> I would suggest changing both of these settings to 1000. You will need
> to set linesize 1000 in your glogin.sql file.
>
> P.S. Stop looking for the Holy Grail. It doesn't exist! Be creative
> and make your own!

Thanks for the input. I already have most of those settings. My issue is what is the syntax for the screen buffer width in glogin? "
 > The Screen Buffer Width, however, is not  > session-specific and will be retained. "

this is where I left off last time I approached this issue. I recall there is a file which the gui drop down settings writes to but somehow cant get that in to glogin.

As Ive said this problem is baffling.. as to why a simple display has to be unbeleiveably complicated and time wasting.

Here is one of oracles "workarounds" Note:98716.1

"
2. The second workaround is to spool your query results to a file. Then, open this file in Notepad and you will be able to use the scroll bars to enable viewing of all the data.
"

the first workaround does not mention the entry/syntax in glogin, which Is what Im looking for.

set long 20000
set line size 1000
set serveroutput on size 1000000 format wrapped set pagesize 9999

set screenbufferwidth 1001

set screen buffer length??????

set tabs off does nothing for my display

set wrap off seems to be an significant improvement, but id still like

the entry for screen buffer length and width. also, how does one handle the screen length and width in cmd shell or unix shell where there is no drop down selection? Hence my search for the "holy grail"...

bob Received on Tue Feb 22 2005 - 22:19:06 CST