Re: how to access database control of many oracle10g database instances on same server

From: <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2005 14:52:54 -0800

Mark C. Stock wrote:
> <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Jining Han wrote:
> >> You need to read about Grid Control. Actually when you create
your
> >> database using DBCA, it should ask you whether you want to use
Grid
> >> Control or DB Console.
> >>
> >> Jining Han
> >
> > I hae read about Grid Control, but I think there is still a way to
> > access many instnaces on the same server using database control.
> >
> > Prem
> >

> check out the OracleŽ Database Installation Guide, appendix E
'Oracle
> Database Default Port Numbers'
>
> haven't done this, but it looks like each instance requires its own
port (?)

> ++ mcs

Here is the response I received from metalink. I have yet to verify it:

Hello Prem K:

  1. You are correct-- when you install a 2nd DB on the same node then the Isntaller will search the oraInventory and dete rmine if there is already an install on port 5500 and if so (as in your case) th en it will increment the port for the new SID and you will then connect on port 5501.

When you install a 3rd DB then the port will be 5502, and so on.

2. Each time you start DB Control, be sure to set the environment variables for the
ORACLE_HOME and
ORACLE_SID
*before* issuing the startup command "emctl start dbconsole" to ensure that the correct DB Console is started.

If the $ORACLE_HOME is in the PATH then the PATH may need to be reset as well-- depends on your c
onfiguration. Received on Tue Feb 22 2005 - 16:52:54 CST