Re: Installing Oracle client over existing database

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2005 02:57:55 -0800

kirtan wrote:
> Mark Bole wrote:
> > kirtan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have Oracle 9i server installed on a machine. For some reason,
> the
> > > Oracle client has gotten messed up. Can I reinstall the client on
> the
> > > same machine? Will it affect the existing database on that
machine?
> Do
> > > i have to select the same oracle home or a new one?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Kirtan
> > >

> > Please be more specific about "gotten messed up". What are you
> trying
> > to do and what error do you get? Platform information would help
too.

> > You can do a fresh install of the client-only software in a
different

> > Oracle home on the same machine, without affecting your existing
> > database, but it shouldn't be necessary.
> >
> > -Mark Bole
>
> actually, I'm working on Crystal Reports 10, and i'm facing a problem
> while viewing the reports through the Crystal Reports ActiveX viewer.
> It gave the following error :-
>
> Error Num::-2147189172::Failed to load database information. Details:
> The database DLL 'crdb_oracle.dll' could not be loaded
>
> I searched for the solution, and it said that the problem lie in the
> installation of Oracle Client. And it suggested reinstalling the
> client. But in my case, the same machine contains the database. So I
> wanted to know whether there would be any problem while installing
the
> client on that machine.
>
> Thanks for your reply

This issue is related to if CR cannot find oci.dll (Oracle Call Interface). Most likely your ORACLE_HOME\bin is not listed as first entry in your system path.

Open cmd prompt and type PATH... first entry in the printed path should be e.g. C:\oracle\ora92\bin;.....

Regards
/Rauf Received on Tue Feb 22 2005 - 04:57:55 CST