Re: Oracle VMWARE aware?

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:14:38 GMT

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:02:54 +0100, Frank van Bortel wrote:

>> Absolutely.  Totally supported.  No hacks.  IIRC, this has been true
>> since at least the late 80's and Oracle version 6.
>>

> Not quite - we're talking windows here, which was adapted only when
> "stable" versions of the product emerged (NT 3.51).
> Oracle 7 Workgroup Server and 8.0 could not be installed, as there
> were DLL conflicts.
> Oracle 7 did not support the Multi Home installation, nor did 8.0.3
> properly... You could hack your way around, tho :)
>
> And 6... Never seen it in a Windows version (which does not mean
> anything at all, and only shows my brain damage ;) )

I accept the historical correction related to Windows.

My reference going back to Oracle6 was to multiple Oracle versions and/or instances on a single UNIX box and I was very much a UNIX flunky at that time. I should have been more precise. That was also where I started using separate userids to separate versions, however I do not consider that a hack.

AFAIK, ORACLE_HOME-based separation as discussed is totally valid and totally supported for all versions of Oracle currently supported by Oracle Corp.'s Support team.

humbly/FGB Received on Mon Feb 21 2005 - 11:14:38 CST