Re: Oracle VMWARE aware?

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 21 Feb 2005 16:03:04 GMT

GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:29:15 +0000, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> > Does Oracle 10g, 9i run under VMWARE? Would it be possible to run
> > several servers of different version in different virtual machines under
> > VMWARE on a big fileserver?

> In answer to the first question, I recommend checking the link titled
> "Install Oracle and Linux on Your Own VMware Virtual Machine" found at
> http://otn.oracle.com

> I am not sure why you would want different version of the Oracle server
> each in it's own virtual machine. It is perfectly acceptable and feasible
> to run several versions of the server in one real or virtual machine.

> However if you insist in separate VMs, the primary issues I foresee
> include potentially degraded performance as the VMs keep switching, and
> possible Oracle Networking port conflicts for the listener (something
> easily resolved in config files).

I was not aware that is seems to be relatively easy from wjhat you are saying to run several versions of Oracle under one hood.

So you say, one can go ahead and install an 8.1.7, 9.0.1, 9.2 and 10g one after the other in one real machine (Windows XP for example) and have them running all simultaneously. Without any hacks? Amazing.