Re: Db2, Oracle, SQL Server

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:59:17 +1100

Serge Rielau apparently said,on my timestamp of 20/02/2005 2:52 PM:

> Wew, think of the article what you want, but I don't think there is
> anyone reading or posting in this newsgroup who can throw dirt on Mohan:
> http://www.almaden.ibm.com/u/mohan/ARIES_Impact.html

Not intended. However, for an IBM crap paper to claim the fellow "invented" rollback/rollforward recovery is a disservice to truth and history of IT. Regardless of what else he might have done.

> I'm by no means qualified to dissect the differences of recovery
> pre-ARIES to those using ARIES (I'm just an egg that cannot grok) , but
> I doubt "crap" gets you into this crowd:
> http://www.sigmod.org/sigmodinfo/awards/

I don't think "technical discussions" have any validity that rely on long lists of awards as credibility evidence. If you produced a paper from credible sources such as Codd, Date, Dijkstra and such, that would be acceptable. To produce a list of award nominees including such glow-worm idiots as Stonebraker is nothing more than name-dropping. Bad move.

Serge, you're not talking to some wet behind the ears beginner in IT, I told you this before. No matter how much the turd organisation you work for might like to discredit anyone that doesn't take their corporate view as deity.

There is a simple thing called FACTS. And it is a fact that rollback/rollforward technology databases existed long before this ARIES logo got invented.

The claim in the IBM paper that this guy "invented" recovery is a piece of crap that has no place anywhere in a technical forum.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto