Re: DBA user in Oracle conflicts during migration

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2005 19:45:05 -0800

SQL> drop role dba;

Role dropped.

SQL> create user dba identified by badpractice;

User created.

Perhaps one might consider constructing a database that lacks the provided schemas like ctxsys, mdsys, ordsys, wksys that most likely rely on the granted dba role. Migrate the schema into that database using the workbench.

After importing your objects into such a database into the schema 'DBA', export them (using exp or expdp) and then import them into a database that has the role dba, but use the fromuser/touser parameters to direct the objects into a different schema.

I do not believe that the role "DBA" is required if you are not using oracle-provided schemas, but it sure would scare me, that something would rely on it and throw an error at 2 am someday that appears as an obscure ora-600 error ...

hth.

-bdbafh Received on Sat Feb 19 2005 - 21:45:05 CST