Re: SERVICE_NAME

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:47:01 +0100

zeb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to upgrade a database in 8.1.7
> to 9.2.0.5 on W2000
> the database is not too much big
> but the downtime must be small ( 15 or 30 min max )
>
> My plan to upgrade is :
> - install 9i product
> - patch to 9.2.0.5
> - create a new database/instance with a new name
> - export 8i DB
> - import into 9i DB
> - create a 9.2.0.5 listener
> how can I have the same SERVICE in the new listener
> to not change the tnsnames.ora for all the clients ?
> ( they use SERVICE_NAME=XXX in their tnsnames.ora )
> - deinstall 8i
>
> What do you thinks about this plan ?
> My question was how to conserve the same SERVICE
> for a new database ?
>
> Thanks in advance

I'm not sure if the self registering database stuff already existed back in 8i, (and I don't have 8i around so I can't test it), but it might be possible to setup the 9i listener to listen to a different port, create the new database with the same service name, import, then when you're ready to switch just shut down the 8i listener and restart the 9i with the originally used port.

HTH
Holger Received on Thu Feb 17 2005 - 01:47:01 CST