Re: os backup

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:26:13 -0500

Hi

Comments embedded

"utkanbir" <hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:f6c90ebe.0502151314.1a07fb6a_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the confusion.Let me summarize what i do:
>
> this is my system:
>
> redhat linux 2.1 advanced server
> 4 itanium processors.
> oracle 9.2.0.5 rac with 2 nodes
> ocfs
> emc disk array raid 10
> and this is a datawarehouse system.
> data size is > 1.5TB.
>

> 1. stop the dbservers.(i use rac on redhat linux ia64 and have 2 nodes)
> 2. copy all the datafiles to tape.
> 3. start the dbserver.

You mean that you shutdown the instances on both nodes? Doing so you perform a cold backup. This is not necessary (although not mandatory either) since the db is in archivelog mode.

To perform an ONLINE backup, you need to do a few things (and the first being to keep the instance up and running) a) for each tablespace:

    alter tablespace xyz begin backup;
    $ backup its datafiles
    alter tablespace xyz end backup;
    alter system backup controlfile to trace; (a good thing to have)     alter system backup controlfile to \somewhere\somefile.xxx     alter system archive log current;
    $ backup the archived log files.
Resulting in no downtime at all. Of course that will take the same amount of time to perform.

> my redo logs are archived periodically and db is in archivelog mode.

What do you mean by this? Redo logs will be archved by Oracle (provided that LOG_ARCHIVE_START=TRUE) when they get full. Is something different happening at your site?

And to answer your original question, pls others correct me if I`m wrong, yes you can use the "oracle archived" redo logs to do a point-in-time, or complete, recovery of your database if you restore all the datafiles from one of your backups, mount the database and perform a recovery. You will be prompted for the archived redo logs needed for the recovery. Just don't startup OPEN if you plan on doing a recovery. In this regards using a cold backup is much the same as using an online backup, to recover.

HTH

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4