Oracle 12500 and 12506 errors when connecting

From: <andydoesntlikespam_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Feb 2005 08:20:03 -0800

When I try to connect to my Oracle 8i server running on Win 2k SP 4 over TCP/IP, I get an ORA-12154 Could not connect to server. When I try to run the Configuration assistant, I get ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process. I can't ping the server by connection name, but I can ping the servers name locally.

Changes that happen locally was that this computer received all the Windows Updates for Windows 2000. When I am on the box locally, I can run LSNRCTL successfully, but I cannot run srvmgrl without getting a 12506: TNS adapter protocol error. Can anyone please give any good suggestions? I've checked the HKLM\Software\Oracle\Home1 key and it looks like the paths are right. As far as I can, ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID are not system variables, but I'm not sure. Thanks for your help.

--Andy Received on Mon Feb 14 2005 - 10:20:03 CST