Re: Password Verification Function Help

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:04:26 GMT

Anurag Varma wrote:

> <kingkongbubdy4_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I am relatively new to Oracle 9i and trying to (at this point) create a
>>password verification function for the DEFAULT profile that will allow
>>me to produce some output to the screen (if possible) when I change a
>>user password. I have....

[...]
>>Is it possible to get output to the screen through the
>>PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION when a password is changed? If so, can anyone
>>point me in the right direction? If not, can the the equivalent 'Hello
>>World' output be saved to a file instead of the screen?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>kingkong
>>

> Too lazy to verify this myself...
> However, make sure you *test* the verify function while logged
> in as a non-sys user.
> If I remember correctly, password verify function is not called when
> logged in as SYS  ... or the errors / output from the function is ignored
> while logged in as SYS.
>
> Anurag

I actually did test that, still didn't work. I believe the problem has to do with the well-known DBMS_OUTPUT limitations. The verify function, called as part of the profile enforcement process, writes its DBMS_OUTPUT to a buffer, but the client session (the one issuing "ALTER USER ... IDENTIFIED BY..." does not appear to have any way to get at that buffer.

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com