Re: Updating Oracle with latest patches

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:21:23 -0000

<bbulsara23_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1108306089.225057.247660_at_c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Niall, thanks for this most interesting information. I would really
> appreciate a URL or Google search terms to pull out this autoupdate
> information for 10g. Interestingly we are already running two 10g
> databases. For our default everything installations, there is also not
> an option showing in the menu (on the Windows systems anyway) to "scan
> for" necessary updates. All I see are Oracle/Oracle - DevSuiteHome,
> Application Server - DevSuiteHome, and Developer Suite - DevSuiteHome.
> Are you referring to an optional component, third party, ....

No, the database control (or indeed Grid Control) that comes with the 10g database has patch management functionality that connects periodically to metalink and will download appropriate patches. It comes as part of a management pack which is an extra cost component (can't remember what it is called I'm afraid because we don't pay for these packs). This is all database stuff though, not developer suite which is a different product.

> As for the automatic updates for SQL Server, perhaps I was a little
> careless in what I wrote. What I should have written is that there are
> automatic updates for SQL Server 2000 desktop edition. To autoupdate
> this it is just a matter of windowsupdate.microsoft.com, detect, and
> downloading any patches. We don't do it like this though, we use SMS.
> Perhaps this is the same for SQL Server but I do not know.

Not that I'm aware of.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA