Re: obfuscate an integer and store in a number column

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:58:13 -0800

Pedro Lopes wrote:
> Hi,
> the security requirement is to have the price column which is a
> number(22) encrypted. I can not change the column datatype
> because this is to use under oracle ebusiness suite and I think
> that it's better not to change the column datatype.
> Maybe I'll try to look at the possibility of having another table
> to store the encrypted value. But since probably this will
> be used on more tables I don't know if this will be manageable.
>

> thanks,
> pedro

As an FYI only - Oracle Database 10g Release 2 (currently in beta, not yet GA) will have transparent data encryption, including the ability to encrypt numbers stored in their original column types. You also don't need to use the PL/SQL API to do the encryption/decryption (i.e you can just alter the column to be encyrpted under existing apps without the need to rewrite the SQL). Received on Sat Feb 12 2005 - 13:58:13 CST