Re: Assessment question on indexes

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2005 19:35:35 GMT

"Anurag Varma" <avoracle_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Take for example:
> If somehow the product_id and warehouse_id are nullable columns .. then
> there is no way oracle will use
> the index since null keys will not be stored in the index.

If that is so, it is an optimizer bug. Since the query in item a) does not care about rows with null warehouse_id anyway, it doesn't matter whether those rows are in the index or not.

Anyway, assuming that these columns are nullable makes about as much sense as assuming the undelying database the question refers to is a MySQL database. Hey, the question didn't say that it wasn't MySQL!

> The thing Richard points out that more information is required *before*
> an answer can be given.

Obviously that is not true. If it were true, people would be unable to pass the OCP exams except at the rate determined by statistical chance. I am pretty sure that most of the people in this group who do not like the OCP could still score better than average, and almost certainly better than random, on the exams. So while more information would surely be helpful, it is not necessary.

> Its supposed
> to be an OCP .. not a game of poker.

It is supposed to be what Oracle wants it to be.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB