Re: Influence Optimzer to merge 'IN' subquery

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Feb 2005 18:16:52 GMT

mccmx_at_hotmail.com (Matt) wrote:

> > One possiblity ... replace IN with EXISTS.
>
> That would achieve the exact opposite of the order I want.

How do you know that?

> I want to
> drive from the subquery into the outer query, but exists implicitly
> drives from the outer to the inner.

The Oracle optimizer does what it does, regardless of your beliefs. For some reason, it often makes better choices with exists queries than it does with in-list queries. And often that choice includes swapping the join order.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB