Adding datafiles to standby database with Data Guard

From: arwel <arwel.owen_at_princes.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 04:57:37 -0500

We currently run SAP over Oracle 8.1.7 and use an offiste standby database for our Disaster Recovery mechanism. We run the standby database manually, using xcopy to copy archive logs to the standby server and SAP's BRARCHVIE tool to apply, backup and then delete archive logs. When we add new datafiles to the primary database, we have to manually do the same on the standby side.

We plan on upgrading to Oracle 9.2 and are interested in replacing the existing manual standby mechanism with Oracle Data Guard. My question is - does ODG automate/synchronise storage management between the primary and standby databases. If datafiles are added to the primary database, will ODG synchronise these additions onto the standby database, negating our current overhead of having to manually do this?

Please excuse me for being lazy and not searching for this information in the public domain - but (as always!!) things are busy here, so I thought I'd cheat and ask the question here instead!!

Many thanks,

Arwel.
Liverpool, UK. Received on Thu Feb 10 2005 - 03:57:37 CST