different DB state via same SQL cmd

From: dompie <kdom_at_mail.mobistar.be>
Date: 9 Feb 2005 13:22:26 -0800

Helo ,

I noticed something very strange with the result of an SQL query.

I have a script for a third party apps the back up the apps and the Oracle db that uses it.
The script didn't work. After investigation, I noticed that within the script there is a function that checks if the database is up and running. The check is done via an sql statement. Basically, a connection via sqlplus is made using sysdba and the following statement is issued:
"select state from v$instance;"

If the output from this sql cmd returns "OPEN" then the database is considered up and running and the script continues. In my case, the script stop here.
I did the following test:
An 'su' from root to Oracle using 'su - oracle' and then the SQL returns the 'OPEN' state.
An 'su' from root to Oracle using 'su oracle' and then the SQL returns an 'STARTED' state.

So, the same sql cmd, executed by Oracle, returns a different output depending on the 'su'
(note that the script does a 'su oracle' and not an 'su - oracle') The only reason I see is a difference in env settings. I still need to investigate why the two SQL results are different but I understand why it doesn't work.

There is only on DB on the system using Oracle v9.

Can this be explained? I cannot alter the db script since then I have no more vendor support but in any case, Oracle should return the same result (not?)

Any help much appreciated.

With kind regards,

Kris Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 15:22:26 CST