Re: ODBC setup

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 12:49:28 -0600

"Rauf Sarwar" <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Turkbear wrote:

>database?
>> >Or
>server,
>> >and

>> >Both MS and Oracle ODBC drivers need Oracle middleware
>> >(SQL*Net/Net8/Net9 etc). Not sure about any other vendors but I will
>be
>> >surprised if they don't need it. Oracle middleware is installed by
>> >default with both client and server install.
>> >
>> >Regards
>> >/Rauf
>>
>> There are some ODBC drivers that are direct connect ( called wire
>protocol) that do not need the Oracle client ( SqlNet)
>> installed-- they connect directly through the Listener ( like a Java
>Thin connection ) by specifying the host:port:instance
>> in the config file.
>>
>> One company's versions are here:
>>
>> http://www.datadirect.com/products/odbc/index.ssp
>>
>> ( Not meant as an endorsement and there may be others)
>
>Have you used this product?
>I just downloaded the eval copy of Data direct and installed just the
>Oracle wire protocol driver. To test a clientless connection, I
>temporarily renamed my Oracle home. When testing the connection during
>the DSN setup, it worked Ok with "Connection successfull" message so I
>was impressed. BUT when trying to link a test table from Access, it
>kept throwing (-7748) error. No issues when I recreated the DSN using
>Oracle ODBC driver.
>
>Unless I am doing something wrong... I am back to being unimpressed
>:->)
>
>Regards
>/Rauf

We use these drivers in our RedHat system ( no Oracle client) for most of our ETL jobs..No problems.

When in a Windows environment, I have found that only MS's Oracle ODBC is totally reliable when connecting through a MS product like Access..I've had odd failures even with Oracle's ODBC driver and Access. Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 12:49:28 CST