Re: Frequent log switches during sqlldr batch jobs

From: Ralph <want_2_learn_more_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Feb 2005 02:13:07 -0800

> Some places are SAME, others are pretty variable. Some places are
> cheap enough to require RAID-5, but will grudgingly give RAID1/0 to
the
> redos - remember, the redo's will be a fixed size, but the archived
> redo's will be quite variable based on transaction rate and restore
> requirements.

Excuse me, doesnt Oracle archive the online logs after they get full? (unless 'ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE' which is not a common thing in day to day life of a database). If that is the case the archived logs, which are a copy of redo logs, have to be the size of redo logs, which in turn of a standard size. What would cause the archived logs to vary in size based on transaction rate, restore requirements?

>Also, I've seen some places give internal drives to
> redo, just because they are too small to be used by anything else.

While on the topic, I have read in books that it is best to give redo logs their own disk to reduce contention, especially in high acitivity databases. Is it justified to buy a small disk, of say, few GBs exclusively for each of the redo logs? (We may need a few of them depending on the number of log files and members)

Thanks for the clarifications.

Ralph. Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 04:13:07 CST