Re: newbie - how much ram for a test machine ?

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 20:07:32 GMT

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:47:33 -0500, barrett bonden wrote:

> I'd like to test/play with Oracle, and have a machine with 192 Megs of ram ,
> far below what the Oracle docs say I need - but this will in no way be a
> production PC, just a place to get a feel for the application; Will it run ?

Do you remember the god old days, when Microsoft said WIndows would run on a 4M RAM machine? Technically it was possible, and it was a guaranteed way to get people to upgrade to a minimum of 16M RAM

The practical mimimum for an Oracle environment is 384M, although you could probably go down to 256M if you eliminated all (or almost all) options such as Java in the DB, etc. In which case you might as well run MySQL

lol/FGB Received on Tue Feb 08 2005 - 14:07:32 CST