Re: Frequent log switches during sqlldr batch jobs

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 08 Feb 2005 17:31:12 GMT

"Thorsten Jens" <thojens_at_gmx.de> wrote:
> Frank van Bortel wrote:
> >
> > Take about 5 switches per hour, then. Gives you 12 minutes
> > worth of transactions to loose when the current redolog file
> > crashes.
>
> If I sized the redo logs to have ~5 switches per hour during high load
> times, then I'd have almost no switches at all during the day -- which
> would mean a lot of lost work in the worst case.

I've seen this argument many times, but I don't understand it. Isn't the worst case the one where both the online redo log and recently archived redo logs are lost? In most systems I see, the online redo logs are protected by mirroring and multiplexing to the same extent as the freshly archived rego logs are (if not more). Is this not usually the case?

Xho (not a backup/recovery DBA)

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB