Re: newbie blues

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 8 Feb 2005 05:05:45 -0800

Comments embedded.

David Fitzjarrell

barrett bonden wrote:
> poor old little old me. Just wanted to get a feel for the useful
workings
> of Oracle , and her I am having to learn about it's subtle
foundations...I
> have no idea of how to set ORACLE_STD , and really , should I have to
know
> this ?

Yes. and such actions are not part of Oracle's 'subtle foundations', they are basic concepts all need know to work with Oracle. One would think after 20 years in the IT community setting an environment variable would be a simple task done hundreds if not thousands of times. If this is truly a stumbling block it may be better if you *DO* choose SQL Server, since a robust and scalable database engine is beyond the scope of your limited abilities. This by your own admission.

> But I've been making my living with computers for 20 years, so I'll
dive
> in , but I tell you guys, this does not bode well for Oracle in my
mind...it
> makes MS SQL server look easy and productive ...

Pray, tell, what would bode well for Oracle in your mind? It is obvious you have no problems commenting negatively on the product, so let's here a positive comment should you have one. Oracle is not a toy, it is not Access, it is, as mentioned before, a robust and scalable database engine, not a toy, and, as such, requires a bit of knowledge to operate. If you are not willing to expend the effort to learn enough to properly operate Oracle it may be better for you to find something else with which to play.