Re: newbie blues

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2005 16:51:20 -0800

barrett bonden wrote:
> poor old little old me. Just wanted to get a feel for the useful
workings
> of Oracle , and her I am having to learn about it's subtle
foundations...I
> have no idea of how to set ORACLE_STD , and really , should I have to
know
> this ?
> But I've been making my living with computers for 20 years, so I'll
dive
> in , but I tell you guys, this does not bode well for Oracle in my
mind...it
> makes MS SQL server look easy and productive ...

Although Oracle has made it very easy to use over the years... which includes numerous tools with MS like point-and-click look and feel... it still cannot be confused with MS Access. Oracle is an enterprise system which requires some basic understanding of the OS where you have installed it beside itself. If you have already read thru the install docs, may I suggest you visit http://tahiti.oracle.com and read thru Oracle Admin guide and reference.

If you want to install Oracle and create a simple database and connect to it... I am afraid you have to learn some basic DBA tasks such as setting Oracle env variables, connecting locally to the database, shutdown/startup etc.

Good luck
/Rauf Received on Mon Feb 07 2005 - 18:51:20 CST