Re: Scalability of Replication?

From: Joachim Zobel <jz-2004_at_heute-morgen.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:46:46 +0100

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 10:10:54 -0600, Jeff McWilliams wrote:

> They currently have 8 offices. Their IT person thinks they want to run a
> database server at each office with replication back to a centralized
> server. This would be updateable materialized views or multi-master
> replication.

Having maintained a rather simple two site replication for several years I think they do not really want to do this.

Replication conflicts (even if they seem impossible) will happen. Someone will have to resolve them manually. I would estimate a few days a year for this (with two sites).

DDL becomes painful, IIRC you have to quiesce (no writes possible) the whole replication to do that. And this is for master-master. If you have updateable snapshots you have to recreate them. Maybe I do not recall that correctly. The replication I am talking about has been by a web based soloution with a central server an I am happily forgetting it.:-)

Sincerely,
Joachim

--
Warnung: \" kann Augenkrebs verursachen.