Re: How To Change Log Switch Sequence?

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 20:50:06 +0100

Comments embedded

On 7 Feb 2005 11:29:42 -0800, cdavis10717_at_comcast.net wrote:

>Hi, all,
>
>I'd like to alter the sequence of my ReDo Groups after a log switch
>occurs.
>
>Right now they are not switching in Group Number sequence, and I'd like
>to change that without dropping/recreating them.

They are switching in the order they *NEED* to switch. If you start fooling around with that, you are bound to screw up your database.

>I'd like better disk separation of my ReDos and they are not switching
>in an order that is conducive to that.

The various members of a group should go to different drives, however there should be no problem to allocate all the first member of group 1 on the same drive as the first member of group 2 and the first member of group 3, as redo log groups are never being written too simultaneously.

>Is there a system table(s) I can alter to control this? If so, how
>please?

YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER 'alter' SYSTEM TABLES, or you will either screw up your database OR loose support, or BOTH.

The procedure to reorganize online redolog files without stopping the database is described in the Oracle Server Utilities Manual. Please read it asap. Right you are a DANGER to your database and your company.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA