Re: Db2, Oracle, SQL Server

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 21:08:58 +1100

Mark A apparently said,on my timestamp of 7/02/2005 9:19 AM:

> The escalation is just in case it does fill up, either because it was not
> changed from the default, or if there are a huge number of locks being held
> at one time.

There should be no escalation. Period.

> In some cases, leaving the locklist small and encouraging lock escalation is
> good, because row locks are more expensive (time consuming) than table
> locks, especially if concurrency is not an issue.

Only for locking systems that require memory for each lock.

> decision support databases were the data was only loaded when the table is
> not available to users, or when the table is available to users and only
> selects are being executed.

Just take a full table lock at the start and be done with it. It's a very special case, the loading of DSS or DW data.

> Obviously, for OLTP applications, the locklist size must be increased to an
> appropriate level.

There should be no need to do this at all. I think Oracle is not unique in handling locks in such a way that this is never required. But I'll stand corrected if not.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto