Re: moving from Sun to Windows

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2005 14:22:04 -0800

Windows really sucks, even moving from old unix hardware to new Windows hardware.

Just my opinion, a unix-bigot (and one-time VMS fan) who's done my darnedest to give Windows a chance. Every friggen' generation of Windows (except the latest, which I don't see as particularly grounded yet with the patching and all).

The differential isn't as great as it used to be, but with linux now, you can leverage the superior unix tools on Intel cr^H^H hardware without funky add-ons. Plus, linux gets out of its own way better.

But of course, the biggest determinant in general is either scaling or skill sets, and if all your unix people have gone away and been replaced by Windows people and you don't need to grow a lot, Windows may be just fine for you.

The worst is going back and forth between the two.

Another option is last-generation hardware.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"It's fun to shoot some people" - Lt. Gen. James Mattis, USMC